Elder Law Group Blog

Walla Walla Veterans’ Home Opens, Offers 80 Private Rooms

Mar 27, 2017 | News

Walla Walla Veterans’ Home Opens, Offers 80 Private Rooms

State Veterans’ Homes provide shelter and medical care for our veterans. These homes are designed to offer a sense of belonging that is unique to veterans and to treat them with the dignity and respect they deserve.
The new Washington State Walla Walla Veterans’ Home is officially open. Veterans began moving in on February 15, a few days before the grand opening ceremony. The $34 million nursing care facility is state run, but located on the campus of the Jonathan M. Wainwright Memorial VA Medical Center, which is a federal facility. The facility’s focus is to serve the 10 counties nearest to Walla Walla, where 20,000 veterans age 65 or older reside.
Built Using A Small House Model
The Walla Walla Veterans’ Home has eight individual houses, each with 10 private bedrooms. The small house model is designed with the importance of community and quality care in mind. Each resident lives in a private bedroom with private bathroom, in a house with a community kitchen, dining, and living area. Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said the facility was designed so that every veteran can “smell the bacon when they wake up in the morning.”
One of the houses is reserved for veterans with Alzheimer’s or other dementia. The Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs reports this will be the last house to be filled. It is expected to begin admitting residents with these conditions in late summer or early fall of this year.
The Walla Walla Veterans Home provides 24-hour nursing care, Long-Term nursing care, short-term rehabilitation, hospice care, and pharmacy services. It also provides supportive programs and services, including physical therapy, speech therapy, social services, recreational activities, and even laundry and beauty & barber services.
Eligibility for Washington State Veterans Homes
To be eligible for admission to a Washing State Veterans’ Home, applicants must be a Washington resident and meet the one of the following criteria:

  • Served at any time, in any branch of the United States Armed Forces including the National Guard, and received an honorable discharge;
  • Be the spouse or surviving spouse of an eligible veteran;
  • Or be a Gold Star Parent.

To download the Application for Admission to the Walla Walla Veterans Home, or another Washington State Veterans’ Home, click here.
Washington Veterans’ Homes are Medicaid and Medicare certified. Medicaid is a state and federally funded medical assistance program for certain people, including the elderly and disabled who have income and assets below specified standards.
The rules for determining Medicaid eligibility are complicated. The experienced Washington Elder Law Attorneys of Elder Law Group PLLC are here to help you understand what government benefit programs may be available to you to help pay for Long-Term Care, such as Medicaid or Veterans Affairs. To best serve our clients, we focus on obtaining benefits, protecting financial assets, and creating the necessary Estate Planning documents.  Together we will explore the Medicaid Asset Preservation Strategy TM that is appropriate for you.
Elder Law Group PLLC has been recognized as one of the fasted growing law firms in the U.S. as an Annual Law Firm 500 Award honoree. Contact us or call (509) 468-0551 (Spokane office), or (509) 579-0206 (Tri-Cities office), for personal, compassionate guidance in Asset Protection Estate Planning and Elder Law.

How do I select a Trustee?

If you are planning to set up a trust, one of the most important decisions that you will have to make is the person(s) you want to serve as your Trustee. Your Trustee will be responsible for managing the assets that you place in your trust and working with the trust’s...

Understanding Probate & Estate Administration

It’s no secret that losing a loved one is hard. At Elder Law Group PLLC, we understand that our clients are going through a difficult time. We provide personalized and compassionate legal representation as we help you to navigate through the estate administration...

An Elder Law Attorney Can Help You Choose Estate Executors and Administrators

When you are making a last will and testament, you must choose someone who will carry out the wishes that are expressed in that final document.  This person is called the executor of the will.  If an executor is not named in your will, or if the person named...
Elder Law Group Logo

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Please subscribe to learn more about how Estate Planning can protect you, your family and your money.

You have Successfully Subscribed!