Elder Law Group Blog

Veterans’ Benefits for Seniors

Jun 9, 2017 | News, Planning

As Veterans age, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provide benefits that help mitigate issues related to aging and health care needs. Two VA programs that provide Veterans with additional monetary assistance are: Aid and Attendance and Housebound. These benefits are paid in addition to monthly Pensions. A Veteran or surviving spouse may receive either of these benefits, but not both at the same time. A Veteran may only receive one of these benefits or a disability benefit, but not both at the same time. The Veteran will receive whichever benefit is higher.
Aid and Attendance Benefit
Aid and Attendance (A&A) is a monthly cash benefit available to qualifying Veterans and their surviving spouses to help pay for the costs of Long-Term Care.  A&A is an increased monthly pension amount paid if you meet one of the medical conditions below:

  • You require the aid of another person in order to perform personal functions required in everyday living, such as bathing, feeding, dressing, attending to the wants of nature, adjusting prosthetic devices, or protecting yourself from the hazards of your daily environment.
  • You are bedridden, in that your disability or disabilities requires that you remain in bed apart from any prescribed course of convalescence or treatment.
  • You are a patient in a nursing home due to mental or physical incapacity.
  • Your eyesight is limited to a corrected 5/200 visual acuity or less in both eyes; or concentric contraction of the visual field to 5 degrees or less.

Other criteria that must be met in order to qualify for A&A include: the Veteran must have served 90 days of active duty and one of those days must have been during a period of conflict, must have a discharge other than “dishonorable,” and must meet asset and income tests. The A&A benefit requirements can be difficult to navigate. Consulting with an experienced Elder Law Attorney is the best way to find out if you qualify for A&A or other Veterans’ benefits for seniors.
Housebound is an increased monthly pension amount paid to Veterans or their surviving spouses who are substantially confined to their immediate premises because of a permanent disability. This benefit is for people who do not need the level of care provided by a facility, such as assisted living or skilled nursing home care.
Help Determining Eligibility
Veterans’ benefits for seniors are complex and determining eligibility can be complicated. An Elder Law Attorney can help you determine the benefits for which you are eligible.
The experienced Elder Law Attorneys of Elder Law Group PLLC are here to help you through the complex process of becoming eligible for and obtaining Veterans’ benefits. We know what is necessary to qualify for these benefits and how they will work in conjunction with your existing financial situation.
We invite you to learn more about us here, and read what our clients have to say about us here.
Contact us or call (509) 468-0551 (Spokane office), or (509) 579-0206 (Tri-Cities office), for guidance on obtaining Veterans’ benefits, Asset Protection Estate Planning TM, Long-Term Care planning, or other legal needs of seniors, the disabled, or vulnerable adults and their families.

How do I select a Trustee?

If you are planning to set up a trust, one of the most important decisions that you will have to make is the person(s) you want to serve as your Trustee. Your Trustee will be responsible for managing the assets that you place in your trust and working with the trust’s...

Understanding Probate & Estate Administration

It’s no secret that losing a loved one is hard. At Elder Law Group PLLC, we understand that our clients are going through a difficult time. We provide personalized and compassionate legal representation as we help you to navigate through the estate administration...

An Elder Law Attorney Can Help You Choose Estate Executors and Administrators

When you are making a last will and testament, you must choose someone who will carry out the wishes that are expressed in that final document.  This person is called the executor of the will.  If an executor is not named in your will, or if the person named...
Elder Law Group Logo

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Please subscribe to learn more about how Estate Planning can protect you, your family and your money.

You have Successfully Subscribed!